Suburb Profiles



PEPPERMINT GROVE

The area now known as Peppermint Grove was originally owned by John Butler, and Keanes Point was once known as 'Butlers Hump'. For many years the Peppermint Grove property, which received that name from the groves of peppermint trees natural to the area, was the scene of picnics when crowds of up to 400 travelled by steamers from Perth.

In December 1890, the land was closed to picnickers by a Perth syndicate who subdivided the estate and used the name Peppermint Grove to promote the land.