It was not until 1954 that the name "North Beach" was formally approved. During the gold rush era, North Beach became a quarantine station for camels entering the country for service on the goldfields. Throughout the 1940's and 1950's, the area became a vacation destination for the people of Perth. As a result many coastal shacks and holiday houses were built in North Beach, some of which are still evident today. In the late 1950's and early 1960's North Beach developed into a residential suburb and the townsite was gazetted in 1964.
There is a diverse range of housing types within North Beach. These include holiday dwellings from before and after World War II, as well as some former workers' houses. There are also many modern dwellings scattered throughout the suburb. The older character housing is generally constructed of fibro and timber, while the newer developments are predominantly brick. Single detached dwellings dominate housing within North Beach, though there are some unit and duplex developments to the east of the suburb. The average lot size is around 900m2 and blocks can range between 530m2 and 1100m2.
The major shopping centre in North Beach is West Coast Plaza, located on the corner of West Coast Drive and North Beach Road. There are also smaller centres scattered throughout the suburb to serve local residents. North Beach is well provided with open space and parks, including Star Swamp Reserve and Charles Riley Memorial Reserve. The latter contains tennis courts and a lawn bowls green, as well as a recreation centre. The area has an extensive length of beach front which also serves recreational needs. North Beach hosts a community centre and two primary schools.