In 1917, the Perth City Council purchased the Lime Kilns Estate of 1290 acres, situated between the Endowment Lands and the City, thus linking the City with the ocean beach. The Council proposed to lay out an up-to-date seaside town near the ocean beach on garden city lines, embodying approved Town Planning principles and making ample provision for recreation purposes.
By 1928, the Council had allocated finance to commence work and also referred to the beach as "City Beach". It appears this name developed because it was an area developed by the City Council and much more acceptable than "Ocean Beach" which was even more descriptive than City Beach.
Today, the suburb is much sought after with its own stunningly white sandy beach a favourite for families, kite surfers and sporty types.